The Many Benefits Of Supporting Local Business (Like Drizzle Honey!)
Supporting local business is so precious to me. I didn’t see or understand the value of it as much until I embarked on my own health journey and sought out the best quality food. Learning that much of it was being locally produced was music to my ears. I love connecting with fellow business owners, farmers and food producers who are creating product and growing their food with love and the highest degree of integrity.
There are so many benefits to supporting local business, including:
- We are supporting the local economy.
- We understand the process of making the food or product. This is so important to know so we can fuel our bodies optimally.
- And we have the privilege of meeting the faces behind the product or food and hear their story. (This has always a curiosity of mine to find out.)
There are more, but I want to dive into my appreciation for honey. And, in particular, the efforts going into the product Drizzle, a local business producing honey, founded by Aja Horsley in 2015. Her love of honey bees, local agriculture and natural health products, along with previously leading beekeeping projects for SAIT’s Culinary and Research departments inspired Aja to see the need to support the Canadian honey industry.
Drizzle brings sustainable honey products that support their local beekeeping farm. Drizzle’s natural honey varieties come from pollen and nectar gathered from flowers and hives in different locations and seasons. Because Drizzle is only lightly filtered and unheated, healthy enzymes, vitamins and minerals remain plentiful.
Before I try a product, these are the kinds of things I like to know:
- The producer has a vast knowledge, experience and a passion for what they are doing.
- The producer is supporting the customer with a healthy, high quality product.
- The producer sees the value of ensuring they are supporting the environment and local industries.
After learning more about bees and the industry, it seems there are current issues with major honey brands purchasing cheap imported honey. This means they are blending foreign honey with Canadian honey but still labelling the honey as a product of Canada. Therefore, consumers going to purchase honey often don’t know exactly what they are spending their money on.
In a situation like this, local beekeepers cannot compete with the prices to produce their honey on Canadian fields, which is leading to imminent bankruptcy situations. This essentially means they have to sell their honey for less than what it costs to produce it. You can see that this causes a stressful situation for the bee farmers, who are really just trying to take care of their hives and honey bees the best they can. Drizzle is trying to counteract this pressing situation by having a product that is 100% Canadian honey and infusing money back into our local economy and farms. Drizzle differentiates itself from other honey because it keeps sustainability in mind in terms of bee health, the environment and again the local economy.
Honey also has many benefits to our gut and immune health as well as antibacterial and anti-fungal properties.
5 Health Benefits of Honey
- Cough suppressant. Honey is anti-inflammatory and as effective as the cough suppressant dextromethorphan.
- Allergy help. (Under scientific review). It is believed that repeat exposure to pollens that trigger an immune response will help build up antibodies, resulting in less histamine release.
- Moisturizing and natural-occurring antibacterial/anti-fungal/antimicrobial properties. This is great for disinfecting wounds and burns, for face masks, redness and itchiness.
- Energy booster/increased athletic performance. Honey is superior in maintaining glycogen levels and improving recovery time. Honey is also lower on the glycemic index than sugar.
- Other benefits include use as a sleep aid, gastrointestinal disorders or as a probiotic.
I hope sharing this helps to provide you with some new information and awareness around supporting local business and hearing the story of Drizzle. Go out and get some beautiful product, support our beekeepers and support your health as well.
You can check out more about Drizzle at drizzlehoney.com.
Episode #188 How Lack of Self-Care Impacts Your Emotional and Physical Health, Reasons Self-Care Should Be Non-Negotiable and Easy Ways to Integrate Regular Self-Care
Episode #187 Weekend and Vacation Binge Triggers, Why Healthy Habits Fade on Weekends and Vacations and Tips to Maintaining Mindful Eating on Weekends and Vacations
Episode #186 Overbooked Schedules and Hormone Health, Ways Stress Fuel Inflammation and Tips To Balance Your Schedule for Hormone Health
Double Chocolate Chip Swirl Banana Bread